White Mountains in New Hampshire 10/8/1998

I crossed into New Hamphire for the second time on this trip and soon crossed the Androscoggin River where I spotted a fly fisherman on one side and a couple who had just finished canoeing on the other. I then turned left and traveled along 16 beside the gorgeous Androscoggin River. This portion of the day was as if I were looking through post cards and every curve in the road presented a new card.


After a couple of hikes in the New Hampshire hills, I all of a sudden felt compelled to drive down 93 to Squam Lake which is where On Golden Pond was filmed. I passed Squam Lake and wound up at the Bretton Woods campground. It was almost full on a Monday night and the low was supposed to be in the mid twenties!





The campground was nice but I was under the trees and couldn't wait to be out in the sun the next morning. I drove north on 3 and through the town of Plymouth. I had my covered bridges handout handy and was watching for such as I headed back north. I stopped to look at the covered bridge at Campton. The morning colors seem the best to me and they were indeed indescribable. The tour buses were still parked and the patrons were wandering through the little towns picking up their papers and drinking coffee.



I was off for highway 112, better known as the Kangamagus Highway. Although it is only approximately thirty miles long it is indeed not a thirty minute trip. All along the way were camping areas, hiking trails, and pull off scenic spots. It was the area in which I would have liked to camp if they had electricity or it were summer.
I stopped at the Hancock overlook and then the Wangan Ground logging area. The Indian word for tools was wangan. From the highest point along the road one could see forever and there was no way to capture on camera what the eyes could see. There was no central focal point. I then went down a 7% grade and was surprised to pass an icicle. Down the hill I stopped at the idyllic picture perfect pond and wandered down to the edge. I was looking for moose tracks but only saw tennis shoe tracks for sure and wondered how many people walked here the day before. I was not leaving any tracks as the ground was too frosty and the edge of the pond had a thin sheet of ice.

Next stop was the Sugar Hill overlook which provided a magnificent view. Then the Sabbady Falls area. I took the 1/4 mile hike alongside the creek through the heavily wooded forest. At the top were the falls with cascading ponds and smaller falls down through the rocks. It was quite a gorgeous sight. The the trail led back down along the rocky creek. A few miles further there was a scenic picnic stop at the Lower Falls.
At this point I forgot I had swung through a McDonald's and picked up an egg mcmuffin. I decided to have brunch. I think the fresh air and hiking tend to make one want more food, at least that was my excuse. I opened a can of peaches and followed that with, of course, a pb&j sandwich which I ate on a rock standing out in the sun on the edge of the creek. Quite large boulders were abundant in the creek. I stood on mine and marveled at the clear water and how it magnified the crimson maple leaves that had sunk to the bottom. The water was swiftly flowing past the picnic area that seemed to have plush carpet under the tall pines, smaller oaks, maples, and firs. Just at the other end of the parking lot the water created a tiny waterfall. By this time the other tourists were out in full force.

Along the Saco River I followed 302 to the Crawford Notch State Park and then to Bretton Woods. The Mount Washington Hotel opened in 1902 and became a very popular resort. The European style spa served wealthy families and 50 trains arrived daily while private railroad cars sat on a siding by the golf course waiting for their passengers. In July, 1944, the U.S government chose the hotel for gathering representatives of 44 countries. At the Bretton Woods Monetary Conference the World Bank was established.



I soon exited the White Mountains looking over my shoulder and in the rear view mirror in amazement. Through Bethlehem, 1799, the highest elevated town east of the Rockies. Then down a 7% grade, which I have come to know as a very steep hill.

I stopped in Littleton to get some Green Mountain coffee and called to check on the Visa and Hallelujah. They had received my payment. I was down to $20 and a maxed out Visa! I arrived in Vermont ready to shop.

No comments: