I went through Pautucket and on across Rhode Island on old Post Road, also known as highway 1. I was back on 84 east headed for Cape Cod. I decided to make one more stop on the way to look at the old mansions in Newport along the river walk.
I paid my $2 to go over the toll bridge and turned toward the historic district. I thought I knew where I was going and the next thing I knew I was headed back across Narragansett Bay on the toll bridge. I told the woman I took the wrong road and although I had to pay another $2 she gave me a pass to get back across and told me how to circle under the bridge and come back up. It afforded me a nice camera shot and when I got to the guy again I said, "Hi, me again. Took the wrong road." and he just grinned. I looked to my right across the bridge at the mansions in the distance and decided since it was a little chilly and might rain perhaps that was a message that I should continue on. So I headed in the other direction.
In Portsmouth, Rhode Island I passed the Reidy's Family Restaurant and it just looked like a place I wanted a late lunch. What a charming visit I had with all those inside. It was kind of like a scene out of Cheers as a man who appeared to be an accountant and I were sitting at the bar visiting with the waitress. Another very overweight man came in and joined in the conversation and then another. The seemed to be accountant and waitress told me how best to get to Cape Cod as my map ran out and I kept having to switch. I enjoyed the all you can eat fish 'n chips which turned out to be french fries. And I had to have a cup of chowda. The fish was good but every time I was ready for another piece I had to wait while they cooked it and then wait while it cooled and I couldn't sit there all afternoon. Then we of course talked about the hurricane headed for Key West and Bill Clinton. It was a most enjoyable hour but I headed off for Massachusetts.

No comments:
Post a Comment