The interstate reminded me of a bob sled race - look straight ahead because all I could see on either side were trees. Everyone was rolling along being careful at times not to get caught exceeding the 70 mph speed limit which everyone did.
The land began to flatten out as I got nearer to Memphis and the Mississippi delta area but at least some of the trees were cut and I could view some of the landscape. After Daniel and Amy fixed sausage and pancakes to have with the Vermont maple syrup I took off for Hot Springs. At 10:15 I was back in Arkansas on the worst interstate highway I had been on. The road was like driving across the top of rick rac and I passed two overturned trucks in a short time. I began to wonder if the trees on the bobsled interstates were to keep the truck drivers focused on the road or to cut down on wind. Here there were no trees flanking the road but soybeans, rice and cotton. At Wynne I stopped for gas and the van didn't want to start again. I decided it would be the last stop until Hot Springs.I rolled down 40 to 440 and 30 as the land changed from flat delta to small hills with pines, hickories, and various oaks along the road. The radio let me know it was to be in the 50s for lows and 80s for highs. This seemed more appropriate weather for October to me. The last song on the radio started "Have you counted the stars in the heavens, Have you walked the universe?" It seemed appropriate.
I had passed plantations, farms, cabins, cottages, stately homes, Greek revivals, and Adironshacks. I hadbeen down hollows, necks, capes, and coves. I had ferried among the Outer Banks, to Martha's Vineyard, to Peaks Island, and across Lake Champlain. I had eaten lobster, chowder, clams, shoofly pie, Portuguese pastries, Amish raisin and walnut bread, Ben & Jerry's lowfat ice cream, cheddar cheese, maple candy and lots of peanut butter and jelly. Another song came to mind: "What a long, strange trip it's been." And so rewarding. Just Ziggy and I on the roads to wherever and ready for the next adventure as always.
And when winter arrived in Arkansas I could buy a scanner, scan my photos, and pursue another of my retirement goals - create home pages. Now I had some material as I could merge my journal with my photos. I never dreamed I would share my thoughts with anyone. Share my thoughts? Indeed not! But, I have finally realized that my thoughts are perhaps some of the best things I have to share.

No comments:
Post a Comment