
I found the Brackett Cemetery to be a gorgeous site overlooking the bay from the sloping side of the green grass covered hill. A fisherman had brought his stuff down in a cart and gone through the path at the edge among some undergrowth, across the boulders on the edge of the water, and out I presume to his lobster traps. I found the tombstones I was looking for.

Several of the roads on the island were paved with asphalt, others were dirt and gravel. Then there were the less traveled paths and trails, sometimes through people's yards. After trekking until my feet ached I headed back down towards the ferry once more. I had visited with the lady renting the big red house next to the cemetery and with a lady in an old Brackett home that had been hauled up the hill in centuries past by oxen to keep them from being attacked by Indians.
Back in Portland, I went down to the Eastern Promenade which is a lovely green area along the side of the bay and on around to Back Cove. There is a walking trail, public boat launch, and plenty of parking. The downtown area has several main streets that cross east to west and charming side streets of brick and cobblestone. Shops are everywhere as are shoppers. Red brick buildings abound in the area that could surely tell stories of yesteryears. Portland is listed with a population of 64,000 plus, but when including the surrounding areas it is a much larger town. It is the place that Longfellow referred to "as the beautiful town that is seated by the sea" as this was his home. It is the largest city in Maine and a major industrial area for the state.
The city was established in 1632. In 1676 Indian attacks left the town in ruins and residents fled to nearby islands or towns. The city adopted the Phoenix as its symbol and "Resurgam - I shall rise again" and rise it has. In 1775 the British destroyed a large portion of the town and then in 1866 fire leveled much of the city. Falmouth became a separate town in 1786 and retains more of the charm of a smaller city with fishing and farming being their major industries.
I left the area after going out to Stoudwater Crossing and Westbrook Street. It would be two years later when I learned that Col. Thomas Westbrook was my 7 great uncle.I spent the night at the Bay of Naples campground since I had missed a few turns, gotten lost, and found it getting dark. I have spent the day in the Western lakes and mountains region of Maine where I shall continue up 302 tomorrow and hopefully into the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I have cashed my last traveler's check and am waiting for Visa to receive my payment as I have maxxed out the credit card. Someday I might try to figure out where it went. But the Sebago Lake area will come first.

No comments:
Post a Comment