Belgrade Lakes, Maine 10/4/1998



I took back roads that were in major need of repair and found myself in the Kennebec and Belgrade Lakes region. I was looking for the cemetery where the Burbanks were buried as I might never come so far from home again.
This is an area which is popular for fishing, hunting, canoeing, and quite a recreational area. I kept looking for the town of Belgrade and when I noticed the Pine Grove Cemetery at the junction of 8, 11 and 135 I pulled in. I drove across the road to the older cemetery surrounding the small white building that was an old town meeting hall from 1815-1872.
Having no luck back up the road I went where I turned south onto 11 and decided to trek across to the small cemetery with only fifteen tombstones. I walked to the back and there was what I was looking for: John Burbank and his family. I don't know the excitement other than it is like going on a scavenger hunt. This was when and where I became hooked on genealogy.

Well by now it was only shortly after noon and I knew it was the time to backtrack to Falmouth and Portland and check on the Bracketts and George Cleve. After some research at the Falmouth Library on the Bracketts that were buried on Peaks Island I found directions that would take me to the Casco Bay Ferry where I could ride to Peak's Island. This was certainly an unexpected side trip in the middle of my journey. I camped at Bayley's Campground in Scarborough and decided I would spend Sunday on Peak's Island and in Portland.

No comments: