Chincoteague is a small town obviously loaded with tourists as I observed the many shops and restaurants located along the road. I decided I was so close to Assateague I should surely at least go look for a pony. I didn't realize that Assateague Island has a Wildlife Refuge but what a well spent $5 to get onto the island.I immediately saw a small buck deer standing on the left side of the road nibbling some veggies. I later saw Great Blue Herons, egrets, Canada geese, ponies, the light house, ponies, tourists, and bicycles but what a treat it was. Also included on the island is a beach but not of interest to me at this time.

Small ditches of water ran alongside the road in many areas and there was a mixture of woods and marshes. These people sure knew how to put together a wildlife refuge. I can't imagine one any finer if seeing wildlife is the object. What a fine way to end my Virginia experience and head into Maryland and Delaware.

No comments:
Post a Comment