Galveston, Tx 3/31/1998

Thoughts on Galveston
March 31, 1998...Time to visit Galveston, Texas. I got a late start from Hot Springs..4 p.m... and made it only as far as Wright Patman Lake south of Texarkana, Tx. The camping area was quite suitable with a nice view of the lake.

The next day I enjoyed the Piney Woods and Big Thicket areas of eastern Texas. I learned that not all of Texas is flat and boring as is often the case in west Texas.

In Galveston I chose a camping spot at Bayou Haven which allowed me to be on the bay on the back side of the island. The people were friendly and the location was not fancy but suitable...near town and the seawall which was not so busy during the week. The seawall runs along the beach virtually along the entire town. It is about 17' high and will hopefully protect Galveston from a devastation hurricane such as the one that happened in 1900.

Since this was my first visit to Galveston I took in the east end, the Strand, and the neat older houses, both large and small. The Strand has developed throughout the older part of town with the tourist in mind. This was not long ago an interesting area overflowing with fishermen and bars and quite a different lifestyle.

Then I learned about life on a shrimp boat. David gave a very interesting and detailed description on the tools of the trade.

April 6 found me crossing to Bolivar on the free ferry. I understand the wait to board can be quite long at times but for me it was no wait at all.

This night I spent at Caddo Lake State Park in Karnack, Tx amid cypress trees and pines and lots of poison ivy. Now that is a fine way to keep tourists on the trails.

No comments: