Camden Hills, Maine and north 10/2/1998





October 2 was a bright sunny day and I meandered down through the ferns, maples, birch and cedars at Megunticook by the Sea campground to a patio area overlooking Penobscot Bay and a lighthouse in the distance. It was a most refreshing sight.










I went from Rockport, 1768, to Camden, 1769, and the Megunticook Mountain in Camden Hills State Park. Indeed the mountains did meet the sea. A drive up Mount Battie, a 900 foot summit, allowed a fine view of the bay and towns below.






I drove on towards Acadia National Park and as I crossed the bridge near Bucksport a magnificent view of the town surprised me.



At the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pond I couldn't wait any longer. I stopped for my first Maine lobster. The older man would open the chest filled with lobsters and I could pick my own. Then into a net bag it went and another man took it outside to drop it in salt water steam in the cool air for about 15 minutes.
They used to use the wooden lobster traps like I had been seeing in the flea markets. Seventeen or eighteen years ago they started using the wire traps which I had seen stacked on piers that were easier to maintain and to stack. The lobster buoys which used to be wooden are now made of styrofoam and sometimes there will be four or five traps attached to one buoy.


After eating lobster a camping site overlooking the water seemed appropriate before touring Acadia. I decided to camp outside of the park so I would have electricity in case I needed to use the heater on chilly Maine mornings.

No comments: