I found myself pulling in at dark to a spot nestled among live oaks with the back of the van facing the sand along the inner edge of the dunes at the First Landing Campground. A short walk led to the boardwalk to the beach where the next morning I watched the sunrise and scavenged on the shore with the other two legged creatures. One group of gulls entertained me for awhile as they fought over the one fresh catch of the morning. Others flew along the shore looking for their own catches. About 9:30 I took a leisurely Sunday morning drive along the shore and entered the Chesapeake Bay tunnel and bridge.
Along the 20 mile bridge interspersed with two tunnels I noticed two red and black tankers standing sentinel on either side that dwarfed the fishing boats that dotted the water. Paralleling me were pelicans and gulls looking for their morning catch. I exited the bridge and noticed the Eastern Shores of Virginia National Wildlife Refuge run by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife. I had a pleasant tour and learned much about the wildlife of the area.
North of this area the land was flat with many farms and huge old homes, motels and fireworks stands that also sold Virginia hams. I couldn't imagine who would need fireworks in mid September. I passed through old towns as I traveled north on 13 and it was indeed peaceful.
I stopped at a seafood restaurant and had a delicious soft crab sandwich and bowl of she crab soup. The crab was lightly fried, legs and all, and the waitress informed me I should eat it all. I decided a side trip down 175 to Chincoteague was in order as according to the map it was only seven miles. However when I noticed the back road 679 led to 175 I immediately turned right and found myself on a quiet, narrow two lane road with no yellow line in the middle.
It passed through beautiful gently rolling hills and around curves that wound among the many farms. Only once in this area did I see a sign that said plantation, they were now merely farms, but plantation size indeed. Many older homes were in the area, some of which were abandoned and letting nature take its course. As I traveled along Metompkin Road I realized I had also left the tourists behind. I wondered along the way how one would know at a glance a newer home from the older ones and realized some large houses had no chimneys. Certainly not an older home!

No comments:
Post a Comment