Kill Devil Hills and Jockey's Ridge, NC 9/18/1998

Jockey's Ridge State Park is near Nags Head, perhaps a better known location - an oceanfront resort full of hotels and cottages. The village supposedly got the name from the islanders' practice of tying lanterns to the necks of ponies and marching them along the dunes at night. The swinging lights simulated anchored boats and this deceived ship captains into running aground where the islanders could seize their cargo. Whether true or not it makes a good story. Jockey's Ridge contains two of the highest sand dunes on the East Coast, more than 100 feet high. They are popular for hang gliding and one can even take lessons here. By this time it was rather hot and I wouldn't have waded through the sand anyway so the overlook suited me just fine. I was surprised to see a Tanger's Outlet Mall at Nag's Head and even more surprised that I did not stop. I did well on resisting souvenir shopping except for those little lapel pins that I collect.


On up the road I came to the Wright Brothers National Memorial in Kill Devil Hills. The first sustained flights by a heavier-than-air powered machine were made near here in1903, but the visitor center was closed and airplanes aren't high on my list of priorities on this tour. I had just passed a blue camping sign on the road and although my AAA camping book didn't show anything I decided to take a look.

Down Collington Road I came to a nice park under tall pines with hot showers, bathrooms, electricity, and water and a very friendly gentleman running it. I then dashed back down the road to Billy's Seafood Market and got a flounder fillet and salmon fillet to go with the rib eye steak, corn and salad I had picked up in Hatteras. What a fine dinner I grilled under the tall pines.

Across the neck, bay, creek, or whatever it would be called was a most picturesque setting at the wholesale seafood market. The boats were anchored and an old man sat amongst crab cages and the other necessary items for his trade doing nothing. A very serene setting indeed.



The next morning I chose not to go the extra fifty miles to see the Currituck lighthouse and took 168 west. A leisurely stroll up the highway brought me to the land of fast food restaurants, tall oaks, and brick houses once again. I survived the Norfolk, Virginia area of freeways but did take one wrong turn, and maybe more that I am not aware of. I had now completed leg 1 of my adventure.

No comments: